Monday, February 25, 2008

One Night as a Hopeless Romantic....

I am a die-hard romantic. I was the little girl who wanted to grow up to be a princess. When reading any romantic books or watching romantic movies, I grew up thinking that every man gazed upon his lady love with a look only described best by writers like Jane Austen, and that every relationship began with letters dripping with romance, coy innuendos and formal requests to "call upon you again".
So when I received an invitation from my dear friend Amanda George, and her friend Heidi, to come to a "romantic girls' night," I jumped at the chance! My invitation was filled with rose petals and a tissue, as well as movie list including Emma, Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice as well as Anne of Green Gables and Little Women. I had my top pick, and all I had to do was RSVP.
Before arriving at the movie party, all us girls (about 12 of us I think) thought we were in for a night of homemade chili, snacks and a nice romantic movie...oh, and did I mention the dress code? Pajamas!
Upon entering Heidi's home, there was a trail of rose petals leading to her door, where I noticed a shelf of letters with various knick knacks partnered with each one. After a hearty chili dinner (yummm) our hostesses told us that before revealing the movie of choice, we were to watch a movie montage of different clips from all the movies. And that each girl had to read one of the "mysterious" letters which "appeared in Heidi's mailbox" that afternoon. The letters corresponded with each movie clip, featuring love sonnets from Mr. Darcy, Gilbert, Professor Behr etc....After gushing over the romantic writings of our fictional "gentleman callers" we popped in the movie of choice....Little Women. A quarter way into the movie we heard something hitting Heidi's french balcony doors. Snowballs? Who would be throwing snowballs? All of us girls ran over to the balcony doors and flung them open to find three, attractive, singing, men below us. They were serenading us, complete with guitar and the song, My Girl!The men (who turned out to be Heidi's brother and his two roomies, Arnie and Martin) proceeded to come up to the apartment and tell us how they saw us gorgeous girls from afar, and had to meet us in person! Cue the salsa music, and each gentleman picked a gal and started dancing! After dancing with all of us, we all received a red rose.
Then, the movie started up again and all of us looked around and said "did that really happen?" hearts a flutter, and cheeks rosy with a "puppy love" flush, we all looked like little girls, who just got done dreaming about their prince charming...only we had LIVED the romance!

After the movie, we sat around chatting about the night, the movie, our favorite characters and just relaxed. It was a fantastic Saturday night, and I could never be more in debt to my "very organized and super planner" hostesses than I am now...thank you for letting me live a romantic dream, to think that there really are Mr. Darcys still in this world and that though cheesy, and overdone by today's standards, our night of rose petals, love letters and dancing was just with this gal needed...and it was so much fun I wish I could re-live it night after night!

1 comment: