Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Newest Family Member

Today was a long day of driving. I woke up at 6 a.m. to drive to Spencer, IA to pick up the newest member of the family at a non-profit shelter, People For Pets (http://www.peopleforpets.org) They are a wonderful organization that takes in homeless animals and could also use any monetary donation possible, as well as blankets or toys for the pets, or if you need a pet, this a great place to look!

After arriving in Spencer, I picked up an 8-week female Pekingese/Shih Tzu mix, whom they called Cocoa. She was an absolute doll and it was love at first sight! She and I drove to Algona to hang out with my mom, Becky and eat lunch with Dad (Ed). We looked at my parents' new house (which looks amazing!) and she got to take a stroll through Algona's two-story pet store called Pet Kingdom. Mom and I picked up some fabulous ceramic pet dishes, a couple treats and looked into pet carriers, which I ended up ordering on-line later that night. With a new stylish bag, she'll be able to go everywhere with me!


After much consideration, and Brad and I studying her...we finally came up with a name. She is now Leia Jensen! Leia is named because when I first saw her, she looked like an Ewok, from Star Wars. (she even sounds like one!) We wanted to pay the movie a tribute, and even though she's a little spit fire, she is still a beautiful lady! :)

Barry wasn't quite sure of what to make of this little ball of fur, but after about 20 minutes of sniffing...I think they became friends! They were actually playing together, so now we just need to make sure Barry doesn't eat all her toys.
Hope you like the newest member, and if you have any fun pet stories or training tips, let me know!










No comments:

Post a Comment